Pleco inherited

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ILuvMyTank

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I inherited a Pleco from a friend who's tank busted, he lived in a bucket for over a week, then when I found out what happened I offered to take him.

He has been hiding inside this little sponge-bob looking house I have...

I have put algae pellets in, a put a pleco feeding block in there, I even bought some driftwood just for him... I have yet to even SEE him other than when I dropped him into the tank about two weeks ago...

Last weekend I grabbed the decoration and looked inside, he is in there, and when I went to grab his tail, he wiggled and he seemed like he was stuck in there, probably on purpose, but he WONT COME OUT!!!

What should I do?

Try putting some fresh veg near the cave such as zuchhini squash , or summer squash, broccoli . I feed mine veg every day, a mini algea wafer, and he shares some shrimp pellets with the cory cats. I see mine on and off all day and during the night. and they will not both any live fry. Alison

Someone mentioned that to me already, and I have sat there patiently with the lights out, and only a small red lens, and have seen NOTHING!
I am afraid that he is not well... is there a way to tell?
I can only get a hold of his tail, and when I gave a decent yank with my thumb and index finger he just hangs on for dear life, I cant get him out of that decoration if I wanted too... I really would like to get him out of there, and replace that decoration with a piece of driftwood sitting right next to it ready for replacement...

I would not pull him by the tail. you are very likely to injure him and make him vunerable to fungus or disease. Not to mention scaring the daylights out of him. If some big predator was trying to pull you out of your house by your feet you wouldn't come out either. Any new fish needs time to get used to the new surroundings. Put the driftwood in there next to the cave and he might transfer himself after a few days. Just check the ornament every couple of days if you can without scaring him, then when you find it empty ,remove it. One of the keys to fish is patience. good luck, Alison

I only gave him a stiff yank after not seeing him for a week or more,, its been at least two weeks now... I thought maybe he was dead in there, but when you touch him, or at least the last time I did, he moved around... I guess I will wait a little longer, and maybe try some veggies and some night stalking... to see if I can't catch him out of the hut...
Thanks ALL who are replying!

Also I don't know what kind of Plecco you have but some are more nocturnal than others and will only come out after dark while others are out on and off all day. Alison

Back
Top Bottom