pleco tank size

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Phoenixphire55

Aquarium Advice Freak
How big of a tank is necessary for a full grown pleco? I'm not sure exactly which kind mine is but he's not one of those that only get to 5 inches or whatever. He's still young so he's only about 3 inches long right now, but I have to plan what kind of tank I'm going to have him in when he gets full grown.

Yup - we will need to know what species it is to answer that one. Plecos can vary in size from very small to they had no business selling that to the public - Pictures would help us :scrambleup:

Common pleco's usually top out just over a foot long, up to about 18 inches. I wouldn't suggest anything less than 125 gallons for one, preferably something larger. My pleco is hitting 12 inches right now in my 75 and he's pretty much at the size limit.

To add to what Skyrmir said, I would go with a tank that is atleast 2 foot wide. A regular 125g wouldn't work for an 18" pleco IMO, since its only 18" wide. You want the fish to be able to turn around.

It does depend on the pleco though. A full grown Bristlenose could live in a 29g+ full grown.

good God, why do they sell those to people? The chances of me getting a 125 gallon + tank at any point in the future are about 0.00%. I guess I'll have to sell my pleco eventually.

That's about the reaction most people have when they realize how big plecos get. If you're lucky you find someone with a pond set up or a koi pond with room for him. Otherwise it's back to the fish store if they'll even take him.

Yup, that's the common pleco. Aside from getting huge they also like to splash. This can be an important thing to remember while looking closely at the surface of the water... Mines gotten me twice so far, I'm pretty sure the second time was intentional.

Back
Top Bottom