Plecos and salt

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cichlid Kid

Aquarium Advice Addict
A friend of mine just purchased 2 spotted sailfin plecos and asked me if they do better in totally fw like say Cory cats? Good question. I told him Id post it on our AA forum and try to find an answer.

He assures me that a little over trace amounts of inorganic mineral salts is all he uses because of using distilled water @ pwc's

That really isn't necessary unless he is breeding, where osmosis comes into play for the viability of eggs.

Well, he shouldn't be using distilled water in the first place. If he has a specific reason for it, there are certain minerals he will have to be dosing into the water. I don't believe aquarium salt is one of them. But, it's worth a Google search.

Honestly, keeping aquarium salt out of the water on a regular basis is for the best. That way it can be used as a sort of medication if some ailment ever does pop up. And aquarium salt is not what causes saltwater. There are actually tons of different "salts" out there, just flip through a chemistry textbook <3

Yes I agree that inorganic mineral salts arenot giving him near the diversity of trace elements that healthy water needs.

Back
Top Bottom