Pond Hydroponics

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

theotheragentm

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have a goldfish barrel with no filtration at all. During the winter my feedings are cut back and I do water changes the the lilies are in hibernation mode. During the summer, my water lilies grow like crazy and bioload is not an issue at all for the few goldfish I have in there.

I got to thinking, why do I have to grow lilies with my fish poop? Why can't I grow vegetables? That brings in hydroponics. With a pump and some PVC fittings, I could put together a system with some vegetables.

Does anyone have any experience in this? I would probably pump up and let the water slide down, keeping the roots wet. The plant nutrient requirements are really no different than aquarium plants. What do you guys think?

I don't know if this is the most active hydroponic forum but it coulld be a good start.
Hydroponics - GardenWeb

The thing with hydro is with all the air, water, nutrients and light mixed together it could be a breeding ground for fungus and algae. I actually grew a few pepper plants in a drip system but that was a few years ago and I forgot most of what I learned. I do however remember I dosed about 5 ml of H202 to keep algae fungus from starting. That might be counterintuitive with the ponds bio-cycle. Sounds like a good idea and you might be onto something.

Anyway, I just thought I post a link and give you a free bump :)

Good luck

I think I decided to do a raised cover. The cover will hold some kind of clay media and I will pump the water up to the cover and have it gravity drain back down to the pond. This covers a filter for me too.

If I ever get around to it, the progress will be posted here. I tend to get a lot of fun ideas, but I never get most of them off the ground. Here is what I was thinking. Although this is a much smaller scale, the premise is the same. Anyone who wants to beat me to the punch and get started, feel free to go ahead with it.

balcony-kit-800px.jpg

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom