pond prime for aquarium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

1972ford

Aquarium Advice Activist
would it be safe to use pond prime for my 200 gallon aquarium. I see its more concentrated and would save me quite a bit over time just wonder if it would be safe and if so is there anything i should be overly concerned about? i figure a capful would be enough to treat 200 gallons.

Same as regular prime but it's just more concentrated! No issues to speak of as I am fan of it but acquiring it can be difficult. I have only found it on amazon (occasionally eBay) and its typically back ordered for months. Seachems Safe (powder) is another option to consider as its highly concentrated as well and appropriate for large tanks/tubs. It's generally less expensive costing @$20 for 2lbs vs Pond that costs the same but treats less water. Either works well ! :)

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

that works even better you got any suggestions on what i should pack into my canisters for media i got one of my canisters crammed with ceramic rings and the other has plenty of room for more if thats the best media. they are fluval 405s was looking into getting the fx6 but they are pricey ill wait for one of my 405s to bite the dust first. or ill make a sump out of a 55 or 40 breeder depending on if i have to build a shorter stand for whatever house i buy

PS the dam api extendable filters are junk in my opinion no room for media

Honestly, I run a bit of everything for biomedia. It honestly depends on your available space and what your looking to accomplish. I opt for clarity and lots bacteria to handle heavy bioloads. So, tons of plain filter floss (polyfill $20 for 10lb box at Walmart), bio balls and mix of coarse and fine media (home depot/loews/dollar store). I generally do not use chemical means unless it's a fry tank or I need to remove meds. Carbon works fine in both cases short term . Quite a few people use chemical means 24/7 for filtration but I have not found this cost effective or convenient. Guess it depends on your source water.

What exactly do you have in mind or wish to accomplish?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

i just want to pack as much media as possible into the trays so when i go to replace sone of the media from time to time i dont have to worry about killing off too much bacteria. I dont use carbon i just removed carbon from my filters and no change in water quality or clarity. i just use sponges of different porousness and ceramic cylinders i have course sponges over my filter intakes that seems to give alot of extra life between cleaning of the sponges inside the cannister. went from having to do filter maintenance once a month to once every 3 months. After putting the sponges on the intakes i can do my filter maintenance and my prefilters in the canister barely discolor the water

Back
Top Bottom