Pond snail invasion.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LLG

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
My 29 gallon tank is cycled and planted, and it looks like one of the plants had a stowaway, because one pond snail became dozens and dozens in a few weeks.

I've spent hours reading about how to get rid of them. I tried putting a lettuce leaf into the tank. The next morning, it was still there, with no snails on it. I pick the snails off the glass every day, but can't keep up with them. One source said that fish love to eat the crushed snails but the danios took one look at a crushed snail and swam in the other direction.

Does anyone think that assassin snails might do the trick? What happens if they eat all of the pond snails? Will they starve?

In any case, I plan to take the plants and substrate out of at least half of the tank and put in sand for shell dwellers. If the snail eggs are in the substrate, should I just take it all out and get rid of it?

Thanks in advance for advice.

If they're Pond/Bladder snails the jelly *sacs* of eggs will be attached to plants or other surfaces NOT *in* the substrate. Assasin snails WILL help get rid of them but could turn into an invasion themselves if fed TOO well and since the only way I know to get rid of excess Assassins is hand picking avoiding this is a must.

Exact same situation happened in a 20L I had a few years ago. I went the assassin snail route and quickly ended up overrun with assassin snails. They hung around a LONG time feeding on detritus, plant matter, etc.

There are some loaches that kill snails, I'm thinking clown loach and tiger sand loach. All pufferfish will eat snails. For a community tank id recommend the fugu puffer or south american river puffer (Colomesus asellus, the South American Puffer).

I have 5 south american river puffers in my main cichlid tank and theyre fantastic. Very intelligent, very fun to watch. They have teeth like hamsters and so they need to grind them down on snails, shrimp, clams/mollusks/whatever or they will become unable to eat because they will grow out too long.

I would like to use puffers, even those cute little pea puffers, but would they be okay with the shell dwellers?

Are assassin snails any easier to pick out than pond snails?

Someone ought to start a service where they rent out puffers, the way falconers rent out birds for pigeon abatement.

I can vouch for assassin snails. When you are done with them just sell them to someone else with a snail problem.
That's what I did.

YES they're easier to pick out since their stripes make them easier to see
Selling the extras, or all of them if you plan on keeping Mystery snails etc., is a great idea if you live in area where you can - I have a hundred or so in my tanks I would gladly get rid of.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom