pop-eye, cloudy eye or injury?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Seeker_7

Aquarium Advice Regular
My black molly has a white patch on her left side. No texture to it at all. It's like she is losing the pigment in her skin. Her right eye is swollen and has a white dot. The eye thing is new this morning. The losing pigmentation, I noticed Friday.
I have removed her from the tank. Just need help diagnosing so I know how to treat.
Thanks!!

Attachments

• 20140414_091223-1.jpg
    20140414_091223-1.jpg
    158 KB · Views: 74
  • 20140414_091350-1-1.jpg
    20140414_091350-1-1.jpg
    179.2 KB · Views: 74
Hi, could be a few things going on. How are the water conditions for ph, ammonia, nitrite and nitrate? I would check those. Next, check the fish food is still in date and good quality. I would suspect some sort of bacterial infection. Increased water changes will help, also adding salt to the QT - these may help clear everything on their own. If no improvement in 5 days I'd look into anti-bacterials.

Ph is 7.4, nitrite 0, nitrate 5.0 (heavily planted tank), ammonia 0, phosphates are high at 5.0 and I just got some phosguard for the filter yesterday. Haven't put it in yet. I have some beard algae popping up. I put some aquarium salt in the QT tank Monday when I moved her and the spot on her side and eye are gone. Eye is a TAD swollen still. Thanks so much for the reply! Fish food is relatively new. I do weekly water changes and I am about 2 weeks out from a cyanobacteria outbreak. It is gone and everything looks good now.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Ph is 7.4, nitrite 0, nitrate 5.0 (heavily planted tank), ammonia 0, phosphates are high at 5.0 and I just got some phosguard for the filter yesterday. Haven't put it in yet. I have some beard algae popping up. I put some aquarium salt in the QT tank Monday when I moved her and the spot on her side and eye are gone. Eye is a TAD swollen still. Thanks so much for the reply! Fish food is relatively new. I do weekly water changes and I am about 2 weeks out from a cyanobacteria outbreak. It is gone and everything looks good now.

That is good news. All sounds really good. Must confess I hate beard algae :(

Maybe changes in the tank set something off - just guessing.

Was the white spot on the side hairy or fuzzy at all raising above the scales or more in the scales out of interest?

Melafix may help for anything lingering.

It wasn't raised up or textured. Looked like a pale spot, like she was losing color. I just got melafix in the mail today. Hopefully the salt and that will finish it all up and I can move her back to the big tank this weekend. Would that be long enough to keep her in QT? A week? She is NOT pleased being in such a small space. Lol

Lol - imo if she has been fine for a week, then ok to go back in as it doesn't sound too serious (bit of a judgement call when she looks all ok) and back to a normal environment.

Edit - that is strange with the pale spot. Hope all pans out ok. :)

Back
Top Bottom