Porcupine Puffer, difference between?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jphendren

Aquarium Advice Activist
Anybody know if there is a difference between the Porcupine Puffers from the Caribbean and the Pacific?

My local shop has both, but the Caribbean type is cheaper.

Jared

I wish I could give you a clear answer but I cant. My guess is because of the caribbean being closer. I`ve seen LR and fish from the caribbean much cheaper compared to their pacific couterparts.

i've also heard fish from certain parts are hardier than those in the others regions, not which regions just in general thats the difference

Well, for one I think it needs to be specified which puffers you are inquiring about? Much of the Family is called "porcupine puffers." Diodon hystrix is considered the true porcupine puffer reigning from the Atlantic while Pacific and Indian Oceans contain Burrfish (except for Diodon eydouxii). Most suppliers not adjacent to the Atlantic will price those higher than Indo-Pacific fish.

My local fish shop has a 160 gallon with a 6" "porcupine puffer" that looks like this:

Porcupine Pufferfish, Porcupinefish - Diodon holocanthus

I'm not sure which species that it is, but it has beautiful blue or green looking eyes. I looked at an image of Diodon hystrix, and that is not the fish that I am seeing at their shop.

Here is a photo of the fish that I want, it appears to be Diodon holocanthus. So is the balloon fish different than a porcupine puffer? Bluezooaquatics.com lists it as a porcupine puffer.

fishGallery_45.jpg

Jared

D. holocanthus can have varied features as can hystrix depending on location. Hystrix tends to be much more spotty and with less prominent spines and attains a much larger size unlike the long spines of holocanthus. Most are captured from the Atlantic ime. All puffers are also referred to as balloonfish, except Canthigaster.

Back
Top Bottom