Possible Amano Shrimp saddled?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mgrassi

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi everyone!

I've had my shrimp for about a week, and I am thankful every day that they are not dead haha. But, of course, this being my first time to own shrimp, I am concerned about every little thing. I am such a mom! :lol:

Anyways, it turns out my Amano "Clyde" might actually be a "Bonnie". But I'm not sure. Literally, the white in the Amano's saddle area was green-ish/clear (it's usual color) yesterday, then overnight - bam. White in the morning. So, IS it a saddle, or is it something that's...well...not?

EDIT: circled what I mean

Attachments

• IMG_2473.jpg
    IMG_2473.jpg
    181.4 KB · Views: 124
  • circle.jpg
    circle.jpg
    181.3 KB · Views: 151
Can you get a better picture of it and circle the area that you think is the saddle? It almost looks like a tapeworm or other worm to me. I've pulled one of these from a ghost shrimp before. It was large considering the size of the shrimp.

Can you get a better picture of it and circle the area that you think is the saddle? It almost looks like a tapeworm or other worm to me. I've pulled one of these from a ghost shrimp before. It was large considering the size of the shrimp.

If you mean the white stripe, that's normal. I added a photo circling what I meant. Also, it's very difficult for shrimp to get tapeworms (apparently)...non of my other shrimp are experiencing anything "tapeworm-ish"

Amano shrimp need brackish water for the babies to survive. I believe they also have a larval stage, unlike most dwarf shrimps

Amano shrimp need brackish water for the babies to survive. I believe they also have a larval stage, unlike most dwarf shrimps

Yeah I know :). I'm not trying to breed amanos. One of my preggers cherry shrimp is all I can handle in that department now! haha!

Regardless, I'd just like to know if it's the (possible) female doing her regular stuff, or if it's something to worry about?

Ohhh okay, sorry. I thought you were asking in hopes of breeding. Anyways as far as the worm/ saddle thing idk, sorry

I wasn't referring to the white stripe...I just wanted to make sure that you know where the saddle forms for clarification. It does appear to possibly be a saddle. Here is a link to the worm I found in my ghost shrimp a couple of years ago. I killed the shrimp and removed the tapeworm (it was a feeder shrimp). The pictures of it in the shrimp aren't the clearest...I mainly wanted to show that it was in the shrimp.

Disease :: IMG_1127.jpg picture by bs6749 - Photobucket

Disease :: Tapeworm found in ghost shrimp 1 picture by bs6749 - Photobucket

Back
Top Bottom