Possible BN?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Scouser

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hey all, as some of you may know I have a 17 gal tank.

The current stock is 8 neon tetra and 3 glow light tetras.

I will be adding another 3-4 glowies soon (away for Xmas)

I was wondering if I could get a BN? I've been looking at them for a while an I'm really wanting one.

Any help? Thanks

Nu-Nu the eel said:
Well sense you dont have any fish on the bottom of your tank i think it would be ok.

I was wondering if the tanks footprint was the right size.

I know these guys grow to around 5" and I don't want it to be too cramped.

Yeah a bit too small for a BN. I have a juvie in my 17g (same foot print as yours) and its about 1.5 inches long. When he's 2 inches he's going in my 17g. If you have somewhere to keep one in the future you could keep one for 6 months maybe.

Mumma.of.two said:
Yeah a bit too small for a BN. I have a juvie in my 17g (same foot print as yours) and its about 1.5 inches long. When he's 2 inches he's going in my 17g. If you have somewhere to keep one in the future you could keep one for 6 months maybe.

Yes i agree. You do plan on an upgrade right?? If so then i think you can get a small one :)

Mumma.of.two said:

I'd get to attached to give him away and I don't have a bigger tank so :(

Well I guess it's for the best!

Is there any plec that would even be possible or am I out of hope?

Mumma.of.two said:
I think 20g is about as small a tank can be. 3 ottos would work. Maybe khulis or Pygmy cories if your just looking for bottom dwellers.

Yea it's not for a "clean up crew" (blah hate that term!)

I really like the bottom dwelling species, they are so lively and I have a mountain of algae wafers to use lol :)

Plus gives me more reasons to cook courgette ;) nomnomnom

Hmmmm... Well, there are clown plecos, zebra plecos, and leopard frog plecos, but I am not positive if any of those guys would be good for your set-up for not. They stioll a bit smaller than the bnp though. Just suggestions, you would have to do some research to see if you think they would be a good fit. I think otos would be great in there. Another option I am sure would work would be a pair of pitbull plecos. They are pretty small, not too much bigger than an oto and super cute IMO. :)

absolutangel04 said:
Hmmmm... Well, there are clown plecos, zebra plecos, and leopard frog plecos, but I am not positive if any of those guys would be good for your set-up for not. They stioll a bit smaller than the bnp though. Just suggestions, you would have to do some research to see if you think they would be a good fit. I think otos would be great in there. Another option I am sure would work would be a pair of pitbull plecos. They are pretty small, not too much bigger than an oto and super cute IMO. :)

Wow thanks!

Of to google!!

Nu-Nu the eel said:
Well sense you dont have any fish on the bottom of your tank i think it would be ok.

We don't stock tanks based on swimming level... Aggression, bio load, size, and a ton of different things need to be considered.

maxwellag said:
We don't stock tanks based on swimming level... Aggression, bio load, size, and a ton of different things need to be considered.

None of his fish are agressive, and tetras have small bioloads. Just MO

maxwellag said:

As nu nu has been following my "new neons :D" thread he knows exactly what my stock and bioload is.

And if you'd bothered to read the OP then you wouldn't have posted what you did IMO.

Back
Top Bottom