Possible dud test kit??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rach88

Aquarium Advice Regular
Ok so I have two tanks, one is roughly a month old the other is about 3-4 months old, both tanks come out between 8.0 and 8.2 PH on my API master test kit. Yesterday in order to get my first fish for the newer tank I tested at home then I took a tank water sample to my LFS, they tested using an API master test kit (at my request) and the result for PH was 7.8. Is it possible my test kit is dud? Or could my PH have fluctuated that much within half an hour of each test being done?

Thanks for the reply :) i brought a new test kit yesterday, PH was 8.0 on new kit, 8.2 on old kit. Also decided to test ammonia nitrate and nitrite as an experiment. Old kit was 0 ammonia trace (darker much darker blue than the 0 colour on card) on nitrite and 30 nitrate. New kit was 0 ammonia 0.25 nitrite and 10-20 nitrate so yes I'm thinking the old kit may have been out of date, however it has no expiry date on it :/ new kit does though so I'll be throwing the old one out

Yes, I think they used to not put it on there, but the lot # stamped on it has a decipherable date. Glad you got it worked out.

Back
Top Bottom