Possible Neon Tetra Infection?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jfhrtn

Aquarium Advice Freak
So over the past couple days after a neon was a victim to fin nipping I have noticed what either may be scar tissue or maybe a infection of some kind? Several neons were victims of fin nipping during the first 48hrs after stocking a new 29 gallon tank. The culprits were serpae tetras (red minor tetras) I do believe. Everyone including this neon seem to be acting normally with plenty of energy and eating just fine. I am hoping it to be just where his/her tail is reforming but figured I would ask to see what everyone thought it may be. I do have a 10 gallon to use as quarantine/hospital tank if needed.

Thank you for any help on this,
-James

Water parameters/Tank Info:

Ammonia: 0ppm

Nitrites: 0ppm

Nitrates: <20ppm

pH: 7.4-7.6

Temp: 77.4

Size: 29 gallon

Time: been stocked for almost 2 weeks, been cycled for 3 weeks

Cycle type: fishless

Filtration: aquaclear 70 & Hydor 425gph circulation pump (circulation pump is on for an hour 3 times a day)

Stock:

6 serpae tetras

10 neon tetras

1 Oto

3 black racer nerites

1 Glofish Tetra

IMG_20170705_090154413_HDR.jpg
IMG_20170705_090231478_HDR.jpgIMG_20170705_090245973_HDR.jpg

I can't really see much off photos - has the rest of tail gone white? If it has changed colour / gotten worse probably bacterial or fungal infection.

It seems like just the part of the tail that got nipped off had turned white. It hasn't gotten any worse or changed in appearance which is confusing me.

I just changed the substrate and am in the process of doing a slate rescape in my 10 gallon. I could dose it with prime every day and throw some fake plants in there to use it as hospital tank for him. Not sure if the stress from being alone in the tank by himself would him or not?

What would be the best thing to do? Keep him in the 29 gallon with all the others or move to the 10 gallon by himself? I hate to treat him with a specific kind of medicine not knowing what is wrong.

I'll try to crop a pic for a closer view

Back
Top Bottom