Possible to keep Clam with T-5 lighting?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Vindicator

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hello again everyone. Most places I see selling clams say that they need Metal Halide lights. Is it possible to keep them in good shape with T5's? I was planning a 110g tank with 450W T5 lighting. Maybe if I keep in near the middle or top of the tank even? let me know what you think, I'm just planning for the future here.

Build thread coming soon!

Deresa might just do fine on the sand bed. Clams have a habit of jumping off of rocks sometimes if they don't like it there, so don't count on it being happy on a rock IMO.

Good thinking ahead, but do let that tank get really well established. At least 6 months, but could be as long as a year depending on what things you're adding to your tank and how often you're adding stuff.

A Squamosa clam will do fine. Mine does fine with 4 VHO bulbs. Here`s what they look like

100_0973.jpg

Deresa might just do fine on the sand bed. Clams have a habit of jumping off of rocks sometimes if they don't like it there, so don't count on it being happy on a rock IMO.

My derasa is tucked away fairly well so he's not going traveling but one of my crocea's is part Kamikaze. So....you pointed out a very important fact.

Thanks!

T5s will work fine for keeping a clam and you don't need to put him high up in the tank either. As has been mentioned wait until your tank is established before trying a clam. They are filter feeders and you need an established tank to handle the addition of phyto or other filter feeder foods. 9-12 months is a good amount of time to work the "kinks" out of your new setup.

Oh ya, I am planning on waiting awhile before I add a clam or any other type of filter feeder to the tank. I am just trying to plan on how much lighting I need to buy, based on what critters I eventually want to add to the tank. Was really hoping to do mostly T5 lighting to cut down on head and power consumption.

Back
Top Bottom