Possibly pregnant guppy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I don't understand how to differentiate between pregnant guppies and over fed ones

Overfed guppies will get big near the ribcage and poop back to their normal size with eating a shelled pea.

I stick a medical shot glass with a few peas in the microwave for 30 seconds and then squeeze them through a garlic press. Let them cool, and then they make for a fantastic laxative. I do that once a week.

A pregnant guppy will get big at the gravid spot, which is that dark bit above the anal fin. They get pretty huge!

This is what Sunny looked like the day before she gave birth to her most recent brood-
2fvGTcP

One of the nicknames for the guppy is the million fish. One time mating can impregnate a female for several broods of fry that she will give birth to about once a month. Most female guppies sold at pet stores are pregnant.

If you don't have a plan for what to do with the fry, you have a few options. The easiest is to rehome the pregnant fish. You can check with your lfs about store credit for the fry, although they will probably be sold as feeders. Or, if you have carnivorous fish, you can breed guppies for a nice live snack. If you do that, though, you have to remember that guppies are very good at surviving despite predators. Plan to have a less dramatic but still not insignificant increase in population. Finally, you can create a separate environment for males and females.

We do a combination of those last two. We have males in the community tank, and the females get their own. I keep them separate except to breed, and so I'm able to control which fish are mating. I bought a male and female not too long ago to increase genetic diversity. Our blue rams love to hunt. Their colors get so bright when they have live food!

Overfed guppies will get big near the ribcage and poop back to their normal size with eating a shelled pea.

I stick a medical shot glass with a few peas in the microwave for 30 seconds and then squeeze them through a garlic press. Let them cool, and then they make for a fantastic laxative. I do that once a week.

A pregnant guppy will get big at the gravid spot, which is that dark bit above the anal fin. They get pretty huge!

This is what Sunny looked like the day before she gave birth to her most recent brood-
2fvGTcP

One of the nicknames for the guppy is the million fish. One time mating can impregnate a female for several broods of fry that she will give birth to about once a month. Most female guppies sold at pet stores are pregnant.

If you don't have a plan for what to do with the fry, you have a few options. The easiest is to rehome the pregnant fish. You can check with your lfs about store credit for the fry, although they will probably be sold as feeders. Or, if you have carnivorous fish, you can breed guppies for a nice live snack. If you do that, though, you have to remember that guppies are very good at surviving despite predators. Plan to have a less dramatic but still not insignificant increase in population. Finally, you can create a separate environment for males and females.

We do a combination of those last two. We have males in the community tank, and the females get their own. I keep them separate except to breed, and so I'm able to control which fish are mating. I bought a male and female not too long ago to increase genetic diversity. Our blue rams love to hunt. Their colors get so bright when they have live food!
When you put the peas in the microwave do you add water or do you just put them in the microwave?
The reason i ask is because i boil a pea and it take alot longer. Id like to do it your way for quickness. I put a bit of garlic in my tank also.

When you put the peas in the microwave do you add water or do you just put them in the microwave?
The reason i ask is because i boil a pea and it take alot longer. Id like to do it your way for quickness. I put a bit of garlic in my tank also.
It's just one of those little plastic cups that comes with kids' liquid medication. No water.

Back
Top Bottom