Pothos vine

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Caliban07

Aquarium Advice Addict
Is it possible to suspend this plant across the aquarium on say some fishing line so it hangs down to create a lagoon effect or does if need to be rooted inky a substrate?

Absolutely!!!!!! I have them rigged with clothes pins and in an HOB.
Here's my clothes pin trick

Here is the vine in the HOB

Here is the whole tank and you can see the roots from the one in the HOB that have also gone down into the tank and I am not 100% but I think they have actually hit the dirt substrate!

I used to have about 8 stems loosely tied together with a few inches of bare stem on them just hanging at the front/side corner of the 220g tank. It worked great and the roots would grow 30" to the bottom of the tank. When the roots go too long I'd cut them back about half and new ones would start growing again.

That tank is awesome. I love the grass effect but looks like it takes a lot of time. I want to put a piece of wood across the tank and tie the vine to it so it's like jungle vine hanging down.

Not really some of them you can get away with just hanging them over the side. They where tiny little cuttings when I put them in the tank about 2 months ago. I literally put them in the tank fully submerged when I first put them in. It gave them just enough of a kick start to get some good roots going really fast. Then I pulled them out slightly and pined them to my light fixture.

Back
Top Bottom