Potting Soil or Peat as Substrate

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

yelle0277

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi All,

I just got a 57 gallon tall tank and am planning on building a freshwater planted tank to house Discus fish. I was thinking that I could use organic potting soil mixed with peat as the substrate with possibly a thin layer of sand over top of that. I read a few of the other posts and saw mixed reviews of using potting soil, but it seemed the worst thing I saw about using it was the possibility of it being too light and clouding up the water and filter. Any thoughts or experience using potting soil/peat and sand?

Thanks!

Thanks Big Jim,

That will be a very helpful site when I'm setting up the tank. I am going to go slow with this tank and make it a project. I'm anticipating getting discus sometime in mid to late summer. I am going to shoot for the most realistic flooded Amazon basin aquascape that I can create and I like the idea of creating as much as possible during the process. : )

Yelle, the clouding only lasts a few weeks. It isn't permanent, but you have to be very careful when moving plants around if you feel the need to do so. Wait out on the Discus at first like BigJim said. A lot of stuff leeches through from the soil in the first few months, ammonia among them. mfdrookie and I both took the easier route and didn't mineralize and aren't experiencing any algae issues or anything of that sort...yet. There are several, if not many, ways to set up a soil tank. The soil of choice seems to be MiracleGro Organic Potting Mix. Make sure you plant HEAVILY when you first do it. Don't plant in spurts like I did.

Let us know. I'm currently still learning about it but my tank is running next to me and so far I am happy with the results.

*Edit: I have yet to have any large clumps of the soil come through the sand. When I set it up, I made sure the water ran on a plate so as to not disturb the sand and soil underneath. In the areas I didn't plant, my sand and soil are in the exact position as when I set up with the exception of some that tried to slip through. However, all that has made its way through are tannins that brown the water up. Nothing harmful. I have been doing water changes each day to keep ammonia down and to rid the brown, and it is getting better and better.

Thanks Marconis, any thoughts on peat mixed in with the potting soil? What about rinsing the soil really well do you think that would help keep the tannins at bay along with the chemicals that leech out.

I've heard great things about adding peat. If you give me a little while, I can supply you with some articles and links where people talk about using it. If you want to avoid all the cloudiness and trouble, mineralize the soil by using the link that BigJim provided you with. I just didn't have the patience to do so. Also, if you have time, you can get it set up with just substrate and do your water changes for two weeks before you get the tank running.

Silly me, MGOC actually has peat in it. I'm still having difficulties in finding the pros and cons of adding it. One thing I do recall is to not have too much of it, but people do line their soil thinly with it and then add sand on top.

I'll keep looking, but I know I've read it. I apologize...I've been on so many sites for soil that I lose track of it all.

Let me ask you this: Why do you want to add the peat?

I'm planning on going this very same route with peat/organic mixed and covered with PFS.

Hope it goes well for you!

Bigjim: The link is great. Thanks!

Sent from my Epic 4G using Aquarium

I have heard that peat can help keep the ph low and discus prefer low ph. I have city water and it tends to be on the low side anyways. 7.2 is the highest its been but I thought if I could maintain a ph of around 6.8 it would be a bit more healthy for the discus.

Thanks again for all your help!! I'm gonna have so much fun and learn so much through this build!

Guys, I'm really delighted that you all are interested in going the soil route. So far it's been a blast for me and I'm pumped to see how my tank can come out. I highly recommend Walstad's book. It's very scientific in nature; I've only read the intro and a handful of the second chapter, and if I had more time to read it I'd be glued to it! It's all about this kind of setup. I may be bummed to read I've done things incorrectly, but still ;-).

I really think there should be a subforum for this, just like there is on APC. We can start a whole new trend in planted tanks here. I have a spare tank and I think this summer I am going to go FULL "El Natural" (sunlight growth and everything). Keep us posted!

Guys, I'm really delighted that you all are interested in going the soil route. So far it's been a blast for me and I'm pumped to see how my tank can come out. I highly recommend Walstad's book. It's very scientific in nature; I've only read the intro and a handful of the second chapter, and if I had more time to read it I'd be glued to it! It's all about this kind of setup. I may be bummed to read I've done things incorrectly, but still ;-).

I really think there should be a subforum for this, just like there is on APC. We can start a whole new trend in planted tanks here. I have a spare tank and I think this summer I am going to go FULL "El Natural" (sunlight growth and everything). Keep us posted!

I'm really interested in it because it is simple and readily available and I love the natural look of a tank. I had actually thought about natural sunlight for lighting the tank. If you're going to go that route, something like these would be a great option:

Sun Dome Tubular daylight skylights. Skylights that transfer solar light to your home or business.

Not sure if you have seen those before. I think I saw better ones but can't remember the website :/

Wher can I find Walstads book? I've read a bit of her stuff online. Very interesting! I like the idea of going the natural route too.

Back
Top Bottom