Powder Blue Dwarf Gourami

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fish Frenzy

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I just bought two male Powder Blue Dwarf Gouramis. They are for my daughter's science teacher- I literally bought them an hour ago. They are going to her school on Monday, today is Saturday. They were shipped to the store about 3 days ago- they sat in their fish bag for transport and for 40 min in their temporary tank. All we had was a one gallon tank- it does have a filter. They seem to be doing fine- but right as we left the room they started biting each other...? Was it just because of the sudden movement and noise? I heard they were skiddish. Should we feed them? We have no Gourami food today, but we'll buy some tomorrow as necessary. All the stores have closed. They have a plastic plant in the tank. We have betta and hermit crab food if they can eat that- we also have select veggies because they are omnivores and might be able to have chopped veggies(?). Please help. Any ideas? I can answer additional questions. Thanks!:fish1:

Last edited by a moderator:
Male dwarf gouramis will fight with each other. They are semi-aggressive fish (for the most part) and if you have two males in a one gallon tank, stress and lack of room along with no food will cause them to bicker. I would separate them, use a tupperware bowl or something.

Also, feeding them tomorrow is a great idea. Betta food will be fine, temporarily. Depending on the brand, it could be a staple. Bettas and gouramis have a similar diet and both can exhibit the benefits of "color enhancing".

The teacher has a set up and cycled tank correct? That is at least 20g?

The teacher has a large tank, at least 20g. Her tank looks like it was set up right. It has a tropical paper background, algae growing, a fake wood hide-out, and 4 other tropical fish(Molly's and something else). We will also put two plastic, vibrant plants in there. It is filtered. Will this suit them?
Thank you so much for all the help! The Betta food brand is Aqua Culture Betta Pellet Food (Color-Enhancing Fish Food).

I bought good food today- they seem to be doing great. Hungry, but great. We will deliver them to her teacher tomorrow with the food and plants. Thanks for all your help! We never separated them, though. They may have just been hungry (cannibalistic) fish. :) Thanks again!

Back
Top Bottom