Power Outage Effects

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Karegg

Aquarium Advice Activist
I've finally got our goldfish into his 10 gallon tank. It's being filtered by an Aquaclear 20. During the summer, storms and power outages aren't uncommon. Normally I have to pour water into the filter to get it started. If the power goes out, then comes back on later and no one is home, will the motor just sit there and burn up?

If it isn't self priming I would say possibly. You can hook it up to a UPS.

If the filter is already full of water and running when the power goes out the filter should still have enough water left to restart. Motor should still be able to run empty without burning out (IEEC specs - but there are some cheap imports that are fake copies) but the impeller might get damaged.

You can prove it to yourself by turning off (simulate a power outage) the power to an already running pump. See how much water is left in the filter, and if it restarts on its own without problems.

If the filter is already full of water and running when the power goes out the filter should still have enough water left to restart. Motor should still be able to run empty without burning out (IEEC specs - but there are some cheap imports that are fake copies) but the impeller might get damaged.

You can prove it to yourself by turning off (simulate a power outage) the power to an already running pump. See how much water is left in the filter, and if it restarts on its own without problems.

Providing the water level in the tank is high enough that in doesn't break the siphon.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom