Power outages and battery power options?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dartzy2

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I live in the east coast and our winters here can get brutal. This will be my first winter with fish and was wondering what battery backups they are available out there? What do you other fish keepers use? Im familiar with the battery run pumps already and those are great but I’m looking to find something to run the heaters and the 2 filters I have. (5g, 20h). Any suggestions? Just not familiar with what’s out there. Thanks in advance.

I've looked into some UPS calculators, and it just does not seem worth the cost for getting a UPS. To power a 150 watt heater and a 6 watt filter, I would only get about 10 - 15 minutes of run time. Maybe an hour if I bought a $500 UPS.

I've looked into some UPS calculators, and it just does not seem worth the cost for getting a UPS. To power a 150 watt heater and a 6 watt filter, I would only get about 10 - 15 minutes of run time. Maybe an hour if I bought a $500 UPS.
Yeah, I got around the same total. Too bad one of the big aquarium companies doesn't offer a affordable option. OH well.

If you have a gas hot water heater, extended winter outages can be survived by two 10%-20% WC'S A day using very warm water and a blanket covering the entire tank.
Good idea to dump the water out of your hob filter once a day and replace it with old tank
Water. Cool water changes would apply to extended warm weather outages, minus the blanket. My fish survived a 13 day power outage using that method. One of those bad Oklahoma ice storms.

If you have a gas hot water heater, extended winter outages can be survived by two 10%-20% WC'S A day using very warm water and a blanket covering the entire tank.

Good idea to dump the water out of your hob filter once a day and replace it with old tank

Water. Cool water changes would apply to extended warm weather outages, minus the blanket. My fish survived a 13 day power outage using that method. One of those bad Oklahoma ice storms.

Thanks for the suggestions. Very helpful.

I seen some who use 8hr computer back up battery's in outages and wrap a blanket around tank to insulate .

Back
Top Bottom