Powerhead question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Melissaann0617

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Sorry if this is a stupid question....
I'm setting up a 55g FOWLR tank. The top is completely closed with the exception of room for a hob filter. I'm concerned that the hob filter won't do a hood enough job of agitating the surface, concerned about oxygen levels. I was going to add an Aquaclear Powerhead. If I add the optional filter to the bottom will it still push out enough water for what I want to accomplish? I want to add the filter so no small fish (mainly Midas blenny) get sucked up in to the Powerhead. I've read stories about people having this problem...

I would suggest skipping the aquaclear powerheads, and going with Koralia powerheads. Those are the best for saltwater applications. They are highly maneuverable, and you can pretty much point them in any direction you want.

I thought of those...is there something I can put over it to keep the Midas blenny from going in there? I've never seen one out if the box but it looks like he could slip in there.

Well, it kind of pushes water out of those slits in the side rather than sucking it in, so it's extremely rare that a fish will get chopped up by it. BUT, Hydor does sell a thin foam cover that you can use to cover up those slits. Never had to use them though, never had a problem with fish getting chopped up by them, and honestly, i've reviewed many many tanks all using Koralia powerheads, and i've never heard of fish getting chopped up by them.

However. I will state that if you turn the powerheads off to feed the tank, or if there is a power outage, you MUST look inside of them before you turn them back on. Because i have heard of people turning off their powerheads, being careless and turning them back on, and unknowingly having a fish get chopped up because the fish went in the powerhead after it was turned off.

Thanks so much! The blenny has already gotten into my sister's overflows so he has proven he likes to explore and go places he shouldn't lol :)
Just saw you are a new mentor. Congratulations!

Back
Top Bottom