Powerheads off? Water calm?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Convict2161

Aquarium Advice Addict
I've been reading a lot about wave makers, power heads, flow, gadgets etc... All to help mimic the ocean. My question is this.

On other forums I've read about people putting there power heads on timers or using other gadgets to turn them off for a few hours at the darkest point in there light cycle. Does this have any benefit at all to the tank, fish or corals?

I've seen YouTube videos where some people would set there power heads to ramp up and make some serious waves to coincide with the thunderstorm effect. Some even went as far as adding sound effects!!

But back to my original question as some forums this topic seems to be of some debate. Does a point of calmness do anything at all for the tanks occupants?

mr_X said:
You can have a completely successful reef without any of that.

Haha thanks X! I'm on Internet overload!! The things people do to there tanks are crazy!! Although some are cool! Way cool!! Just don't wanna dump money where not needed. I guess it's just a convo thing maybe? "look what I can do" kinda thing.

IMO, yup. Now they have LED fixtures that flash lights every so often to simulate storms. It's so silly. Don't believe the hype!

mr_X said:
IMO, yup. Now they have LED fixtures that flash lights every so often to simulate storms. It's so silly. Don't believe the hype!

Haha!! Speaking of.... I did more research amd decided on keeping the thunderstorm effect active. It is... No more. Don't see the point.

It's entertaining. My ph works with the lighting wirelessly. It powers down at feeding time and after dark.

x2 on at feeding time for a few minutes then I let the PH blast all the uneaten food into all the corals :) my acans appreciate it

Back
Top Bottom