Pregnant Guppy! Mean Males! Help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jess

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hello! I have a very pregnant guppy( not sure how far along she is) anyways. I have about 3 males and 4 females one of which is showing a very ballooned belly. The males seem to be paying more attention to her constantly fighting to what seems to look like whos going to breed first but very aggressive often bumping an pushing her around in the process. She constantly tries to hide in the plants from them to get a break but as soon as shes visable thats it! Males are back to bother her. Is it because she is pregnant that they are disregarding the othet females?? A potential sign that she will pop fry soon?? I do have a small breeding tank that floats in my 45G tank but as i said its small and dont want her getting stressed and aborting dont know what to do!!

Hey Jess. You could look into getting a tank divider or check out youtube for instructions on how to make a homemade version....

Pretty much normal behavior...my males anny all the girls in my tank. When the female gets fed up they get bit. I would not separate her from the males as it will stress her. All my girls are getting the same treatment from the guys and still manage to get away and drop fry...I have 4 generations in the same tank, and expecting a 5th from 2 of the girls any day now..just make sure there are places for fry to hide and the girls to go to get away from the guys. My tank is very heavy planted giving lots of cover and breaking up line of sight.

Back
Top Bottom