Pregnant Guppy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GuppyLover

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hi,

I have 2 female guppies, both I bought pregnant new years eve. One of them is now very large, she has a large, dark gravid spot. Every time a family friend (Who knows alot about aquariums) comes over they tell me that he should drop anyday and it has been about 2 weeks. She now looks like she swallowed a peaor a pencil eraser, So my question is when will she drop? She's so darn fast its hard to get a picture of her but I can try and get one if need be.

It can seem to last a really long time sometimes. :)

The body shape will change from rounded to square shortly before birth, usually within a day or two from my experience, that's really all I can add... Sorry. :)

My other female squared off a day or two after I got her home and had a bunch of eggs. I think it was due to the stress of moving. My gorgeous male was chasing her around the day after, but I'm worried she might have used the sperm from her earlier breeding. A few days after my male got infested with worms and passed away so I am very excited for the smaller female to have her fry! I'll post pictures if she drops soon :)

Guppies don't lay eggs, they are livebearers. Usually I think if stressed they will ingest their young and never give birth to them. Were all the fry stillborn?

Yeah, I know they are livebearers. They were stillborn, I found it odd that she actually gave birth to them.

That is weird, yeah! First time I saw a guppy birth there was a couple of dead, a couple deformed, but most were OK. Hopefully next time things will be much better. :)

These are my first ever pregnant fish. So excited for her to drop!

Back
Top Bottom