Pregnant micky mouse platy?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mrs.h2012

Aquarium Advice Addict
I Believe my Micky mouse platy is pregnant. These aren't the greatest pictures because she hardly ever stays still and I swear she is camera shy, I've tried to get so many pictures of her but she never stays still! I'm worried about her fry when she has them, if she's pregnant, because Im in the middle of cycling the tank. I was planning on doing a fishless cycle until my mom bought my son the two platy's I have now... So it's been a fish in cycle since last Thursday.

Attachments

• image-3089806567.jpg
    image-3089806567.jpg
    161.8 KB · Views: 157
  • image-3919006461.jpg
    image-3919006461.jpg
    147.5 KB · Views: 109
  • image-4222349018.jpg
    image-4222349018.jpg
    168.7 KB · Views: 98
She is most definitely pregnant. I wouldn't worry too much about the fry unless you are trying to save them. You could just let nature run its course and let the parents eat the fry.

How much longer would you say she had? I would like to save some of them... But I guess it's just best to let nature takes it course and if they survive then awesome. My tank isn't all that heavily planted, should I try and get more plants for a hideout for them? I have a broken barrel ornament but sometimes my platies swim through it.

That is my question to! When is my pregnant platy going to pop? Well all the research ive done ive come to the conclusion that if they look like they swallowed a cube (bottom of belly is perfectly straight and square) then shes close... Yours doesnt look like shes close to popping but defenitly pregnant. Mine has been in the cube stage for a week now and I have a feeling she just lets go a few at a time! Ive found only two surviving ones so far but shes still really fat!

if you want to save the fry get a breeding box and put her in there until she gives birth but i would say she has atleast another week to go maybe longer hard to tell from the pics tho .. gd luck

:)

Thanks for the reply. I have a breeding net but really dont want to put her in it, I went out today and bought different plants and made a fry hide out area in my tank.

Attachments

• image-1274135987.jpg
    image-1274135987.jpg
    179.3 KB · Views: 114
Back
Top Bottom