Pregnant Platy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

WinksFish

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
We have recently dove headfirst into our new fish hobby and we are addicted. We are slowly adding to our 55gallon tank and have recently noticed our Platy is about to pop. So i have a few "newby" questions 1)We are not at a point to have multiple tanks going, so our fry are big enough to move out of the breeding basket what do we do with the survivors?
2) if I do not pull mom out of the breeding basket right after birth (if I'm at work or sleeping) will she eat them all before I can remover her?
3) how do I know when to separate mom? I moved her last night-her belly is really large, kind of squared at the bottom and she has a dark red spot just behind her belly. How do I make sure I'm not being cruel and moving her too soon?

Thank you in advance for your help.

I leave mine in the breeder net once she squares off and wait. I have one in there now that is being stubborn i think on purpose haha. The mom will eat the babies so its best to find a way to move them. I have a ten gallon baby tank so i watch her drop a few then move them just to make sure she won't eat them. Good luck to you.

Back
Top Bottom