Pregnant platy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

phoebekatee

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi all!
I have 3 female and 2 male platies in my 30g, and was wondering if she is pregnant. A couple week back I saw an orange platy literally stalking her, and she has a large black spot behind her abdomen. Another of my platies gave birth recently, but sadly all got eaten as I have some pretty grizzly tiger barbs and gouramis, as well as me being unprepared. I have now bought a breeding box, as I know someone who will buy all of my fry, but is this inhumane as it might stress her out?

image-1965943606.jpg

She is the white one

image-716668190.jpg

i would consider it more inhumane not to seperate her and just leave the fry to fend for themeselves.
even if you watch her give birth and attempt to catch the fry and seperate them, there will be casualties.
i would try to wait as long as you can before seperating her, but deffinatly do it.
all livebearers give birth an average of once a month. i hope this helps you time it correctly.
best of luck :)

phoebekatee said:
Hi all!
I have 3 female and 2 male platies in my 30g, and was wondering if she is pregnant. A couple week back I saw an orange platy literally stalking her, and she has a large black spot behind her abdomen. Another of my platies gave birth recently, but sadly all got eaten as I have some pretty grizzly tiger barbs and gouramis, as well as me being unprepared. I have now bought a breeding box, as I know someone who will buy all of my fry, but is this inhumane as it might stress her out?

She is the white one

Yes sir that's a pregnant platy if ever ther was one. What you need is a breeder box. Put her in there and after she gives birth take her out and leave the fry to mature. Works for me when breeding my swordtails. Fewer casualties that way

I already have one but firstly I have no idea when she will give birth, as I am at school all day and I don't remember how long she's been pregnant for, and also when I got the box I put her in there for a bit and she freaked out! Will she drop

phoebekatee said:
I already have one but firstly I have no idea when she will give birth, as I am at school all day and I don't remember how long she's been pregnant for, and also when I got the box I put her in there for a bit and she freaked out! Will she drop

Ok ok yes that happens sometimes. Mine freaked out. She also jumped out of a cup during tank transfer and I almost stepped on her. But she's happly on her fifth pregnancy now.

Ok so can I see a new pick? If shes squared off, put her in now. Also she will drop. She should calm down after a few minutes. Can you get me a pik of the box?

I will steal my sisters camera itouch when I get home but for now she isn't square yet, although she has been carrying for a while and the box has air slits and a v insert. I left her there for a half hour she was still wit scared!

phoebekatee said:
I will steal my sisters camera itouch when I get home but for now she isn't square yet, although she has been carrying for a while and the box has air slits and a v insert. I left her there for a half hour she was still wit scared!

I hate v insert ones. But how long ago did u do this? She is probably do anyday. And she should calm down. How did she act

Like, swimming corner to corner, twitchy and wriggly. What's wrong with v insert?x

Back
Top Bottom