Pregnant Platy?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SansyFrance

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello All,
I purchased three Platies from my local pet store to house with my small male Betta about 4 weeks ago. All is well, and they are getting along splendidly, but the other day I noticed that the two female platies have been growing a little large around their abdomen. I did a bit of research to see if they were possibly pregnant and all signs lead to yes, but I'm still not quite sure. I am a newbie fish owner, but am getting really really interested in it and hope to expand my aquarium collection exponentially.
Here's some pictures of the girls:
img_3340747_0_532e423ae951500187954ae60b489a27.jpg
img_3340747_1_2771b5e3bcb200e3d72c47bc212bd0d6.jpg
img_3340747_2_fffe898bc97280dc68ea1a4bc0387a5a.jpg
img_3340747_3_255b6dd6a7da6948c42ab2be07a1c30a.jpg
img_3340747_4_a733c4b44ca5ad49653e56a4a76a3a75.jpg
img_3340747_5_2817f461734bf81990bb16b1c34a9085.jpg
img_3340747_6_23f1ffda77f9fcee752824563c73f473.jpg

If anyone could help me out with this it would be much appreciated. I have no idea what I'm doing aside form the research I've done.:confused:

If you think yes, try to put them inside a separate tank. And see if she will give birth or not in the next 2 weeks or so. I myself never had any of my livebearers giving birth so I don't think I can help you that much.

If you plan on keeping the frys, separate her now from others. If you don't want to raise frys, leave her be. Tho I'd like to raise them if I were u xD

Sent from my vivo Y28 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Thank you for your reply, Darkfalcon. I have separated the two possible "mamas" into their own tanks away from all the boys in my main big tank, which I think is the safest option :)

Thank you for your reply, Darkfalcon. I have separated the two possible "mamas" into their own tanks away from all the boys in my main big tank, which I think is the safest option :)

U took the wisest option available. The next thing u should do is to prepare the fry food just in case your thoughts are true. Don't hatch brine shrimps yet if your frys not even out yet. It is to prevent the shrimps from getting too big to be eaten by your frys. But if u intend to buy something else to feed your frys, as long as it is not alive u can buy from now :)

U took the wisest option available. The next thing u should do is to prepare the fry food just in case your thoughts are true. Don't hatch brine shrimps yet if your frys not even out yet. It is to prevent the shrimps from getting too big to be eaten by your frys. But if u intend to buy something else to feed your frys, as long as it is not alive u can buy from now :)

Thanks! I was just thinking about trying to buy fry food today. There's a fish specialty store in my town and I think they'll have some nonliving food available. So I'm gunna go get some of that soon! Thank you for your help!! :D

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Thanks! I was just thinking about trying to buy fry food today. There's a fish specialty store in my town and I think they'll have some nonliving food available. So I'm gunna go get some of that soon! Thank you for your help!! :D

Just crush up regular fish flakes really fine. Thats what i did with my fry works like a charm. Enjoy your babies when they come!

Just crush up regular fish flakes really fine. Thats what i did with my fry works like a charm. Enjoy your babies when they come!

Yes you can use them for food too. Tho my danio frys seem to not be able to eat them somehow... And it's been longer than 2 weeks and they're size is still smaller than 2cm. Wonder what is wrong??

Yes you can use them for food too. Tho my danio frys seem to not be able to eat them somehow... And it's been longer than 2 weeks and they're size is still smaller than 2cm. Wonder what is wrong??

Hm. I think I'm gunna try the crushed up tropical flakes, and if they don't seem to be eating I'll search out other food methods possibly. I'm really hoping for as many of the frys to survive as possible.

Hm. I think I'm gunna try the crushed up tropical flakes, and if they don't seem to be eating I'll search out other food methods possibly. I'm really hoping for as many of the frys to survive as possible.

Same here. I have 15 danio frys, well they seem to be growing on a slow rate. I'll move them to a bigger tank because I found the other 10 frys living in my filter chambers o_O (so the total is 15 now, it used to be only 5). How did they survive in such dirty and filthy place like that in the first place?? Did they eat the bacterias as their food source??

Back
Top Bottom