Pregnant platys, getting a little concerned!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

skywhitney

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have two pregnant mickey mouse platys that im getting a little concerned about. I got them about 3 weeks ago and they were quite pregnant back then. Since theneach one has displayed signs of getting ready to drop the fry but they never do. You'll see them square off, the egg tube is displayed, the get antisocial, no interest in food, but then they're back to acting like nothing is wrong. Both of them have dropped just 1 fry each and they both look like they're going to pop ...am i worring for no reason?

I have heard that guppies and plays are so similar you can breed them together. My knowledge comes completely from guppies and I'm assuming that they are similar enough for this to be true for both:

I heard a story where a female guppy dropped three fry, gave up, then dumped the rest three days later.

I have started breeding guppies actually, and hope to come up with a healthy strain! If you live in Tucson, I could sell you some if I'm successful! Check my most recent thread if you want to see the pics! (it is also my only thread, so it's hard to miss ^^)

alia258 said:
I have heard that guppies and plays are so similar you can breed them together. My knowledge comes completely from guppies and I'm assuming that they are similar enough for this to be true for both:

I heard a story where a female guppy dropped three fry, gave up, then dumped the rest three days later.

I have started breeding guppies actually, and hope to come up with a healthy strain! If you live in Tucson, I could sell you some if I'm successful! Check my most recent thread if you want to see the pics! (it is also my only thread, so it's hard to miss ^^)

I wish they would dump the rest three days later. My first fry was on the 11th and mom is still holding onto the rest!

I've read that if stressed they can hold onto fry...
I'd suggest turning off the lights and upping the temp 2 deg... Sometimes a slight adjustment in temp can induce birthing...
Id do a PWC, up temp and turn off lights...
What other fish are in the tank? What are parameters?

ocminpin said:
I've read that if stressed they can hold onto fry...
I'd suggest turning off the lights and upping the temp 2 deg... Sometimes a slight adjustment in temp can induce birthing...
Id do a PWC, up temp and turn off lights...
What other fish are in the tank? What are parameters?

They are ech in their own tanks cause i didnt want the fry to get eaten. The heaters in those tanks are preset so i cant adjust them :-/
Water parameters are 7.6/0/0/0.
I do a 20-30% wc every other day.
The tanks are located under my tank stand so its quiet, pretty dark, and relativly undisturbed.

From everything i've read (no previous experience with livebearers) it sounds like they should have already popped.

skywhitney said:
They are ech in their own tanks cause i didnt want the fry to get eaten. The heaters in those tanks are preset so i cant adjust them :-/
Water parameters are 7.6/0/0/0.
I do a 20-30% wc every other day.
The tanks are located under my tank stand so its quiet, pretty dark, and relativly undisturbed.

From everything i've read (no previous experience with livebearers) it sounds like they should have already popped.

Possibly they weren't as far along as you thought.. Or they're young and only had, did you say ONE? my little petite girl from Petco had around 20 1st time and 23 second time...
How big are they?
I DID however have my Molly hold for 52 days once!

ocminpin said:
Possibly they weren't as far along as you thought.. Or they're young and only had, did you say ONE? my little petite girl from Petco had around 20 1st time and 23 second time...
How big are they?
I DID however have my Molly hold for 52 days once!

Lol yep just one...both of them are still showing pretty major gravid spots though so i think there are more in there waiting to be dropped. It is possible that they werent as far along as i origionally thought but it weird cause i've seen their gravid spots drop really low then go back up. They look full grown when i compare them to the others i have.

skywhitney said:
Lol yep just one...both of them are still showing pretty major gravid spots though so i think there are more in there waiting to be dropped. It is possible that they werent as far along as i origionally thought but it weird cause i've seen their gravid spots drop really low then go back up. They look full grown when i compare them to the others i have.

My mollies have done that and I never could figure it out... Frustrating as can be because I just want those babies!! ;-)
The waiting game is a tough one at times...

I was told, for guppies and platys alike, if you drop the temps true a few degrees you can force them to give birth. This may cause deformed babies, but of they're as far along as you say then there shouldn't be any problems. Just grab a thermometer, unplug the heater and plug it in(let it cool down a bit is the basic idea, but not too much), keeping the temp a few degrees below normal. Don't use frozen anything or they'll all die!

So mytwo females are so big they look like they're waddling when they swim lol. I felt horrible about keeping them isolated so i put them in my main tank and within 30 min they turned a beautiful bright blue :) yay for non-stressed fish!

Now if all goes well some of the fry will survive...

skywhitney said:
So mytwo females are so big they look like they're waddling when they swim lol. I felt horrible about keeping them isolated so i put them in my main tank and within 30 min they turned a beautiful bright blue :) yay for non-stressed fish!

Now if all goes well some of the fry will survive...

Wishing for healthy/safe fry!

still no babies....These poor girls looks like they are about to explode!

Back
Top Bottom