Preparing to upgrade to 75gal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lotocus

Aquarium Advice Activist
Greetings. This is my first post, but I've already found some very useful information on these forums. I'm excited to get involved.

I currently have a 20 gallon long tank that's about 10-11 months old. We've lost a few fish along the way, but overall I believe it to be a healthy tank. It's currently stocked with the following:

1 pleco (about 5 inches long)
4 medium Tiger Barbs
4 Zebra Danios
4 Cory Cats (3 peppered/1 albino)
3 female gold dust mollies
1 Flame Tetra (the sole survivor from the original school of 4)

Over the life of the tank we have lost one Danio (got something on it's side so we took it to the LFS to put in their sick tank), one Tiger Barb (soon after we got him) and 3 of the Flame Tetras (about 3-4 months apart each - not sure why we have had so much trouble with the tetras).

Anyways, back to the new tank. We are preparing a new 75 gallon tank. I plan to cycle it fishless with the assistance of some substrate and artificial decorations from the 20 gal, as well as putting a used filter from the 20 into the filter reservoir on the 75.

Once my water tests stabilize I'm planning to slowly move the current fish from the 20 to the 75, starting with the Danios. I plan to move the original 4 into the new tank with about 15 new guys to give me a nice big school. I'll also put in some new Cory Cats at the same time (eventually the current Corys will make their way into the new tank). I'll move the Tiger Barbs over the same way after I'm sure the Danios are happy. I'll probably get about 6 more Tigers at that time.

Overall, here are my stocking plans:

19-20 Danios
10 Tiger Barbs
10-15 Cory Cats
1 pleco
5-6 Mollies (the original 3 gold dust, along with 2 Dalmatians and maybe a Silver)
3 Bala Sharks (or maybe a few Siamese Algea Eaters instead, since they don't get as big)

So I guess I'd like to hear opinions on my plan to cycle the water and also if you think my stocking plan will make for happy and healthy fish.

Thanks for your thoughts!

As for the cycling, the used filter media will be way more useful than the substrate and decorations. I wouldn't waste your time moving those over.

It should cycle pretty quickly with the old media in place.

That's what I figured, but since some if the substrate and decor is going to the new tank anyways I figured it wouldn't hurt.

I'll be using the filter cartridge from my tetra whisper 20 and just placing it in the back of the Aqueon 55/75 that will be on the 75. Is that the best place to introduce it?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I'll be using the filter cartridge from my tetra whisper 20 and just placing it in the back of the Aqueon 55/75 that will be on the 75. Is that the best place to introduce it?
I am not that familiar with those Aqueon filters but as long as it is in the filter and the water is flowing through it you should be fine.

Back
Top Bottom