Pressurized co2?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Scoot35

Aquarium Advice Activist
I was wondering how long a 20oz paintball tank would last in my 125 gal if I have a regulator which would shut off during the nighttime hours

I wouldn't think very long. My 5lb cylinder lasted a little over a year on my 30g at 2-3bps on a timer.

Ok thanks maybe you can answer one more question for me? Is drop checker absolutely necessary

I never ran one in my tank. I guess it is preferred to get a quick visual indication of how much co2 is in your system. I personally prefer less stuff in my tank. You can calculate the CO2 levels by measuring your pH and KH. It is not accurate if you have buffers in your water though.

ph_kh_co2.gif

Source: www.petfish.net

Edit: After looking at the chart, I would say 30ppm should be yellow, not 25. I ran mine as close to 30ppm as I could get.

Last edited:
I agree with meegosh, the less stuff the better and you also have to make sure you keep up with keeping the fluid fresh. Monitor your pH before injecting the co2 and then keep monitoring it while injecting co2. If the pH get low you probably want to cut back on the co2 a little bit.
I also agree that the paintball co2 cartridge probably won't last too long.

I never ran one in my tank. I guess it is preferred to get a quick visual indication of how much co2 is in your system. I personally prefer less stuff in my tank. You can calculate the CO2 levels by measuring your pH and KH. It is not accurate if you have buffers in your water though.

Source: www.petfish.net

Edit: After looking at the chart, I would say 30ppm should be yellow, not 25. I ran mine as close to 30ppm as I could get.

I like that chart, thanks.

Yeah, I would get at least a 5lb on a 125, if not a 10lb. My 5lb on my 60g has been running since October and has not run out yet tho :) I added a drop checker in my tank just to be sure of myself, and instead of having to keep checking the water all the time, I can just look at the checker and it will tell me if its good or not. Either way will work great, just be able to check it somehow :)

Back
Top Bottom