Probably could use some direction...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Peanutsmama

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Have a 48 gallon tank that I started on the 8th. I had no idea what I was doing and stuck a bunch of fish ( 5 angelfish, 2 harlequin rasboras, and 2 high fin tetras) in there. Fast forward to now, I have lost 3 angelfish and read tons of discussion boards distraught my angels were dying every day, bought a pH master kit, ph 8.2, ammonia 1.0, nitrite .25, nitrate 0. What do I do with the mess I have? I had no idea that my fish were suffering in the ammonia :' ( I have done 2 50% water changes so far.

Hi! Dont stress, first of all. You did the right thing by investing in a test kit. What type of water conditioner are you using? Prime is highly recommended and will help your fish through a fish-in cycle because it helps to detox ammonia, nitrite & nitrate. Right now, the best thing you can do for your fish is to test their water atleast once a day and do water changes anytime your ammonia/nitrite levels hit .25ppm (or higher). You will also want to test your tap water for ammonia, nitrite & nitrate so you know what exactly you are putting in your tank. Right now, your ammonia is on the high side so I would suggest some water changes to drop this down. If you know anyone with a healthy cycled tank or pond, getting ahold of some of their filter media will help speed the cycling process along. Do not add anymore fish and do not touch your filter media until your tank is fully cycled. Please ask if you have any questions!

I just learned about cycling but I already have fish. What now?! - Aquarium Advice

+1 with JLK. Test the water at least once a day and do appropriate water changes with a good water conditioner. If your ammonia, nitrites are high you may need to do multiple water changes in the same day to bring the levels down to a safe level. Be prepared for a long cycling period, it can take 6-8 weeks to complete. Deep breath and patience, all will be good.

I have been using tetra water conditioner, but I will get to petco and get some prime. I did a water change this am, 30%, and the ammonia went down to .50. I will continue to do the changes daily until I get the ammonia under control. I tested my 10 gallon and it is 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite, and 20 nitrRate. I am taking some seeding to put into my new 10 gallons and to my 48. Thanks for the advice!

Back
Top Bottom