Problem with nitrates

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thanks to all for the good information. How long do you think it will take for the tank to lower nitrates if I put a filter media from an existing tank. I have heard it will cycle it rather quickly like a few days? Is this true?

Do weekly PWC to keep your nitrates below 25ppm once your tank is cycled. Only water changes will effectively decrease nitrates. Nitrites and ammonia will always have to be as close to zero as possible as they are lethal even at very small concentrations. Nitrates are not good but not lethal.

If you read the articles that Hholly linked, you will notice that it takes weeks to months for the Nitrogen Cycle to establish itself in an aquarium. Those additives that claim to have active bacteria are supposed to help kick start cycling but a continuous source of ammonia is needed to feed the Ammonia oxidizing bacteria (Nitrosomonas), which generate Nitrites. The nitrites are then oxidized by another type of bacteria (Nitrobacter) into Nitrates. Quite a lengthy process but quite rewarding once it is over. As for seeded media, adding media from a cycled tank will definitely help speed up the cycle by providing colonies of BB.

FYI, never change out your filter media as this will cause a mini cycle to occur because the beneficial bacteria lives inside your filter media. You just need to rinse your filter media in tank water or conditioned water (never in tap water as the chlorine will kill your BB). This goes for your substrate as well. I recommend buying an API liquid test kit as these are much more accurate. Also, it is recommended that your filter be able to turn over your water volume from 6 - 10 times per hour so you good there (a 40 gal needs a flow rate of 240 - 400 gal/hr). Your AquaTech 30-60 and 10-20 have flow rates of 330 and 120 gal/hr, respectively.

For 1 Oscar in a 40gal, you need all the filtration possible since an Oscar creates a large bioload, i.e lots of ammonia.

Hope this helps.

ding ding ding.

even if you use something like seachem stability, unless you are adding an ammonia source, the bacteria you are adding to your tank with the stability will not magically cycle your tank.

But reading your post, it sounds like your tank is cycled. (no ammonia or nitrites, and some nitrates). I don't know what is wrong with your fish, but it isn't 40ppm nitrates. Freshwater fish can withstand several times that level for short periods of time without any noticable effects to the fish. Your oscar could live in 40ppm nitrate constantly and you may not even notice a difference in its health.

Could be a pH difference when you did the water change?

Also, if you have 0 nitrates in your tap water then you are decreasing your tank's nitrate level by the percentage of water changed. For example, if your tank has 40ppm nitrates and you do a 25% water change then your tank will now have 30ppm nitrates. If you do another 25% water change then you will have 23ppm nitrates. If you do one 50% waterchange from the start then you will drop your nitrates from 40ppm to 20ppm. This is all assuming you have 0 nitrates in the water you are using.

Should I test my water source ? I heard my water source can do it. If it my water source will adding more dechlorinator ( excuse my bad spelling. ) reduce the nitrates?

Should I test my water source ? I heard my water source can do it. If it my water source will adding more dechlorinator ( excuse my bad spelling. ) reduce the nitrates?

test your water. It can't hurt.

Adding more dechlorinator will not reduce nitrates. If your tap water is full of nitrates then use bottled water for your tank.

You should be using something more comprehensive than a dechlorinator. Seachem Prime is recommended. AmQuel Plus is good, does the same as Prime, but costs more per gallon treated.

Back
Top Bottom