problems with my tank after i moved

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tallyturbo

Aquarium Advice Newbie
hey everyone this is my first post. ive been reading the forums alot lately and decided to start a thread before everything dies. about a week ago i had to move my tank from my apt to my house and everything went well. i left a little bit of water in my tank for the sand and put the live rock in a bucket with salt water. all my fish lived as well. ive been here for a week or so now and my tank seems to be acting weird. to start my problems my live sand is now covered in brown algea and my clownfish isnt eating like he usually does. he has white stringy poop and is acting weird in the tank. the 2 corals i have are looking alittle stressed as well. my star polyps arnt comming out like usual and my hammer looks like it has lost a few pieces. also my anemone looks super stringy. im wondering what is causing all of this any ideas? i have an aquapod with the regualr lighting and have tried to minimze the time there on to see if it would help the algea but it hasnt. my water specs are good my amonia is 0 nitrates 0 and nitrates are minimal. the temp stays constant 79 becasue i have a chiller and heater. any suggestions on what i should do?

Did you replace the water with new water? Did the sand bed get stirred up? The brown algae sounds like diatoms but a pic would help. Your tank could be going through a mini-cycle from the move. I'd keep the lighting at what it was before you moved and do some PWCs to remove any nasties that got stirred up from the move. Star polyps tend to remain closed for a while after being disturbed, and they are pretty tough so I wouldn't worry about them just yet.

Good advice there. It does sound like a mini-cycle fromthe sand being distrubed. Several PWC's of 20% should get the tank back it should be. If you can a 20% change daily or every other day for a week you should see a big improvement.
How deep is your sandbed?

Oh, and ....

welcometoaa.gif

my sand bed is about 2 1/2 inches i was thinking it was going through another cycle as well. that what it looks like to me. ill try to get some pics up today. my turbo snails are trying hard to eat all the algae but it seems to not want to go away. i was using tap water as well at both places i wonder if the quality of the water here is worse. i need to get my hands on some ro water. i have been changing the water about 5 gallons a day i didn't know if i should keep doing that or not but ill keep at it and see if it help. thanks for the responses thus far.

Get some test kits and test your tap water. You would be better off getting your own RODI unit and using that for pwc and top off water.

That`s the reason I always suggest that you get rid of the sand bed and start a new one. Too much nasty stuff in there. That`s what I`m seeing is the sand and Im sure the Tap is not helping things out. As mentioned before PWC`s should help and definitely RO or RO/DI will help. Welcome to AA BTW

RODI is a necessity! I would think that the tap water is adding to your problems. Any one in your area sell it where you could buy some? Ask the fish store in your area. I would do a 10-20% water change with the new rodi water. I think that is the root of your problem

cool ill go to my lfs and see if they have any thanks for all the help

Back
Top Bottom