proetein skimmer empy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

drksails

Aquarium Advice Newbie
hey my name is abe and i'm new to this whole world, (so exciting!)
the concern I have is that we bought a 90 gallon tank and added about 70 lbs of live rock, let it cycle for 5 weeks then added two damsels and a clown at the begining of week 6. We have now had the fish for a week, and added turbos, cleaner shrimp, and hermits on day 5 of week 6. the question is that there has been nothing in the protein skimmer cup, not in the begining, not in the middle and not now. Its near the end of week six and all water params are normal, and the fish and inverts seem healthy but skimmer cup is empty, is this normal? Is this a problem? help!

Cordially, Abe Gutierrez

I don't know too much about skimmers, I just wanted to say welcome to AA!!

I had the same issue on a newly established tank. The local pros in my reef club told me there just wasn't enough bio-load and waste for it to work. :wink:

Welcome to AA.

What kind of skimmer do you have?

There could be several reasons why you're not getting any skimmate.

You may have an underpowered pump, are you seeing bubble production in the reaction chamber of your skimmer?

Is it a new skimmer? Some require a few weeks of "break-in" to rid itself of any oily residues from the factory.

Give us a little more info on your skimmer and setup, and we'll do our best to help ya.

Back
Top Bottom