Proper Housing for my Electric Blue?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bosoxlobsterman

Aquarium Advice Activist
So my LFS has a bunch of small cichlids (1"), including a couple of electric blues which I would like to get, the only thing is I have a 36 gallon community tank, and from what I'm reading they would outgrow it quickly. Any thoughts on getting a small one now, and setting up a bigger tank to move it to once he outgrows my 36?

I've got 2 gouramis, 5 danios, 6 corys, and about a dozen feeder guppies in there right now with lots of rocks/fake plants for hiding spaces if that helps.

So my LFS has a bunch of small cichlids (1"), including a couple of electric blues which I would like to get, the only thing is I have a 36 gallon community tank, and from what I'm reading they would outgrow it quickly. Any thoughts on getting a small one now, and setting up a bigger tank to move it to once he outgrows my 36?

I've got 2 gouramis, 5 danios, 6 corys, and about a dozen feeder guppies in there right now with lots of rocks/fake plants for hiding spaces if that helps.
Do you mean electric blue jack dempseys?
Regardless of the species, I personally wouldn't advise doing that. IMO, if you do not currently have the tank for it, don't get it until you do. Fish grow pretty fast and it takes them much less time to outgrow a tank than people usually think. Then, what happens if you have issues with a new tank or can't get it right away? If they are jd's, they should grow quickly, and get nasty to their tankmates, so I wouldn't do it. But, thats just my opinion.

OK, thanks for the post; I guess it just depends on when I could get a bigger tank so I'll prob hold off for now.

Back
Top Bottom