Proper method for mixing salt

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DGabbs

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi there,

I have two questions:

Can anyone tell me how many cups or table spoons i need to add to each gallon of water to achieve 1.005? I have a hydrometer. I know its brackish, but no one in the FW/BW was able to help really. You guys are the salt experts right? :)

I have had my 20gal going for a week now, but the salt seems to be very unstable. I'm using instant ocean, and i keep adding salt (probably over 30-40 teaspoons) and i still can't get it to go over 1.004. Does it take a while for a tank to have a stable salt level? I have silica sand and 15 pounds of base rock.

Also how long should i wait to measure the water salinity after i add salt.

Thanks!

The amount really depends on brand of salt. Not all salts have the same potency per unit volume. Best bet is to try it out until you get the water at the right levels.

Also, i'd reccomend to ditch that hydrometer. If you can afford it, get a refractometer with a calibrating solution. Much more precise and you'll be able to take some guess work out of determining your levels.

Instant Ocean is aprox 1/2 cup (8 tablespoons) per gallon to get to 1.026. If you are mixing the water real good with a powerhead you will get the salinity in as little as 5-10 mins.

So about 1-1.5 table spoons per gallon? Ok I'll give that a try on my next water change.

Thanks guys!

Back
Top Bottom