Pros and Cons to a Sponge Filter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

stevenht

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I'm thinking about switching to a sponge filter vs my HOB one. It gives out too much of a current and it's hard to plant foreground plants and I want a Dwarf Gourami. I have a 20H tank.

What are the pros and cons to a sponge filter vs a HOB filter?

I think a sponge filter in your case would be fine. Are we talking just one fish and plants?

I have a dwarf gourami with some bloodfin tetras. I already know where I can hide it the back of the tank is completely lined with swords

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Pros:
1) Sponge filters have alot of surface area.
2) They are cheap and have low costs to run.
3) They provide oxygen for the fishes.
4) They can be used as hiding spots for fishes.
5) They provide surface agitation and circulation in tank.
6) Fry can use it to feed from.

Cons:
1) Looks bad in a display tank.
2) Gunk can sometimes get into the tank if not cleaned properly.

These are some of the things I could think of but I think other people can help who have more experience.

They're not bad, I don't like the look of them or swimming room they take up but I love them for shrimp or fry. Is there any way you can buffer the flow on you hob? With mine if I overstuff material near the top it slows down the force.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I have a prefilter sponge over the intake and it keeps the fry away from it and makes sure the current isn't too strong.

I got a sponge filter and I'm letting it run in my 20 planted with my HOB atm and going to replace my HOB with it in about a month or running it continuously just to be sure. That should be long enough right? My tank is already cycled

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I've had a Fluval C4 for 2 years in my 55 and it's a work horse for sure. I have enough room for my sponge filter. Also instead of carbon I store 2 small biobags of biomaxx inside if a tray that you can conveniently pull out. You can also control the current like the aquaclear and it's skinnier in size.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom