pros/cons of pea size gravel under a sand substrate for goldfish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mentalpaws

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
55 gallon tank. whats good and bad about sand over small gravel for goldfish?

i already use small gravel. I'm afraid fantail goldie -who is about 5 inches long total in length- may choke on a piece. He is constantly scrounging around down there and spitting the tinier ones out. is that even possible? No, i dont want to hear the answer.... never mind.....He is about 2 years old.

Than again i have to consider the beneficial bacteria already established in and under the gravel now, the debris/decay factor, etc etc etc.

SO many factors to consider in this hobby!

The goldies as you probably already know like to forage, and they will end up eating the sand. Sand is a no-no for a goldie tank, I have been told.

Your fish is not going to choke on gravel. They aren't that dumb. Don't worry about it. :)

Actually I've read about a few cases where a goldfish accidentally swallowed a piece of gravel and had it impacted in its intestines. While it's not likely, it's possible.

Yeah it is not about intelligence, it's just what they do. I have read that sand is okay for goldfish tanks because the sand can easily pass if eaten. As long as it is fine sand it should be fine.

I've kept large fancy goldies for years and mostly used commercial plant substrate which is basically the size of smaller gravel. GF forage and pick up substrate while foraging for the food in it. They keep the food and spit the gravel. Most never swallow gravel but what I have seen happen is when gravel is just big enough to fit in their mouth but too big to spit out. Good thing is that the gravel is usually very easy to just pop out. I personally don't like sand in GF tanks simply because their constant rooting can make a real mess with sand and their rather large poop lays right on top of the sand making an ugly sight... also tempting the GF to pick it up and see if it's food over and over. I like a small grain gravel for them.

The gravel will migrate to the top of the sand in no time at all. I personally love pfs in my planted goldie tanks. Its heavy grain, easy to clean and will not be sucked up into filters. Bare bottom is another option to consider as well.

After removing stuck gravel with forceps from a fancy in the past, I tossed it all. You would be quite surprised at what they can fit into their mouths and what they will attempt to swallow (defies logic or reason!). Unfortunately, if any gravel does make it into their digestive tract, the risk of a painful demise is quite high as gravel can become impacted or tear the intestinal lining.

Hi jlk *** what is a pf's as a substrate, abbreviations I do not know.....

plant matter substrate? what is that and where is it to be bought?

ok so my thinking is....

large river rock. About 1 - 2 inches around. I found some at the dollar store and I need a lot to cover the bottom of my tank. 48 x 12...one of their bags covered about 1/10th of the bottom.
A vinegar test showed no fizzing. I boiled them for a while. Cooled them and placed 1 bag in tank. So far it seems fine.... This way i can keep the gravel (thus good bacteria) while covering it up so GF cannot get to it. I have worked too hard to keep him alive only to sucumb to death by gravel :blink:

Pfs is pool filter sand for future reference. Clean, inexpensive ($10 or less for 50lbs) and easy to work with. :)

ok cool - pool filter sand!! Well, it just so happens here in Florida, there are pool stores everywhere!

now what about them swallowing that? is it a concern? And how do I remove the established gravel with all the bene bacteria? Really don't want to do that.....

I have never had an issue with fish ingesting minute grains of sand. I am sure they occasionally do so but it would pass harmless through their digestive tract.

Few options for switching to sand. Remove all the gravel at once and add the sand. You may or may not experience a mini-cycle. Remove the gravel, add the sand then place bags of gravel on top of the sand (pantyhose works fine or mesh bags). Lastly, you can remove gravel gradually over a few weeks and add sand gradually or wait and add it all at once. Figure out what will work best for you.

Just a note though. Any sand needs to be very well rinsed (until the water runs clear) before adding it. Also make sure you have somewhere to keep your fish for when you add it (separate tank or bucket). :)

I've kept my current goldfish (oranda, lionhead, moor) on PFS for over two years now. Easy to clean and has never caused any problems. They seem to enjoy digging for worms in it too, which is much more difficult in gravel.

Back
Top Bottom