Protein Skimmer for 36gal traditional tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

amyd619

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi
Any recommendations on a good protein skimmer for a 36 gal rectangle tank? Tank has been running for about 3 months and my water conditions were great for a while and recently my nitrates shot up and my fish started dying. I'm assuming it's from over feeding so I've cut back to every other day for the single clown I have left. I also got a second wave maker the new one has 1500gph and old one is 950gph. I currently have a Eheim Ecco Comfort canister filter and am thinking of adding a protein skimmer because there seems to be stuff floating on the top of the water. Will cutting back feeding, weekly 10% water changes (my LFS told me to change the water every 3 weeks so think that had something to do with my nitrate spike also), and adding a protein skimmer help my nitrates go back to zero?

I had a 29 and was running an eshopps 75 on it. Worked pretty well, but it was the sump version. They also make a HOB. HOB's make me nervous. I always would worry if they overflowed.

Back
Top Bottom