Protein Skimmers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

shananana

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I'm setting up a salt water tank. I have always had fresh water so I'm a complete newby! They have a protein skimmer at the pet store for $150 but I found them online for $60/$70. Any advice on a good one. Is it going to make a real big difference if I buy a cheaper one?

What size tank are you planning on getting? what do you plan on stocking it with?

Depending on the above a good quality skimmer will go a long way.
Shop around though, you will find better prices on some websites or even smaller lfs' will bargain with you.
I have a used one I had on my tank for 18 months or so. It's a hang on saline solutions skimmer. My lfs sold it for about $100+ but I went to a small store and they ha a knock off one for $50! Make sure you shop around, dont buy anything on impulse!

If its your first saltwater tank, then get a used skimmer from another hobbyist. Check the classified sectij of AA or craigslist. Online prices beats the prices at all my LFS.

How big is your tank sometimes water changes are more effective than a skimmer.

I have a 35 gallon tank. So far all's I figured out that's going in it is clown fish and star fish. I live in a small town in South Dakota. There's not a huge variety of fish to buy here lol

Back
Top Bottom