Protein Skimmers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jonathan G.

Aquarium Advice Freak
I am having trouble finding a protein skimmer... anyone have any suggestions or advice on what to go with? I have a regular 75gl tank. I saw a red sea prism skimmer but i didnt know if they were any good.

I have a quick question:

For those links to the skimmers, i noticed the ES5-2 says it's for use "up to 75g" capacity. Does this mean that if I'm planning to use a 30g sump on the 75g tank i'm currently setting up, that this skimmer won't have a big enough capacity. Would I need something with a 105g capacity?

Thanks,

Matt

I have a quick question:

For those links to the skimmers, i noticed the ES5-2 says it's for use "up to 75g" capacity. Does this mean that if I'm planning to use a 30g sump on the 75g tank i'm currently setting up, that this skimmer won't have a big enough capacity. Would I need something with a 105g capacity?

Thanks,

Matt

Skimmers, IMO, are usually overrated. It's best to go larger if it's in the budget. For a 75 gal, I'd go with an Aqua C Urchin Pro w/ a Mag 3 pump minumum. An Aqua C EV-120 would be a good choice too. You might also look at one of the smaller ASM units. I would probably stay away from Red Sea altogether...JMHO.

also remember if ya have a 70 gallon tank with a 30 gallon sump but after rocks sand ect.. ya still only at 70 gallons of water if that depending on how much rock you have !

the best options in thge order i would pick them ASM G1 or G1X, Euroreef ES5-3 and the AquaC Urchin pro. All good skimmers but the ASM and Euroreef have a slight edge on the Urchin.

Back
Top Bottom