Puffer poop.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Amzwiz87

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So I have has Petri, the figure 8 puffer, for about two years now. I noticed his poo changes hue depending on what I feed him. Now last week I, stupid me, had out about 10 ghost shrimp into his 50 gallon tank. Now normally I would take him about a week to eat those, picking them off one by one. Well, he and his buddy Pauly either know all of their hiding spots or they just are getting too good at hunting and I woke up to puffers with giant bellies. I fasted them for 4 days and their stomachs have come down nicely. However, today Petri has this lil pink nub hanging out and he's been wrestling it all day. I think it's just poop, but I am worried it's an internal parasite. Googled failed to satisfy me so here I am. Help! ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1408748445.797967.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1408748475.123940.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1408748498.106387.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Aw crap I forgot to put my tank Info. I have a 50 gallon brackish. SG 1.004. Ammonia 0 nitrite 0 nitrates 20 (prior to WC yesterday). I have a penguin 350 bio wheel filter.

I have had the tank set up for about 2 months?(just upgraded them. :) ) It has two figure 8 puffers under 2 inches. I vary their diets. They eat brine shrimp, blood worms, ghost shrimp, clams. I fast them at least 1 to some times 2 days a week. (Depends on if they look)

I think it's a prolapsed rectum..... :(
I'm worried. If it's still present tomorrow I will try to give him an Epsom salt bath to help with the swelling and hopefully correct it? Thoughts?

I was freaking out for nothing. It's gone.

Well now I think my lil guy definitely has a reoccurring prolapsed rectum. It is back again already! He is asymptomatic and I'm not sure what to do. I googled and it says to give an epsom salt bath and then treat with an anti parasitic med. I am afraid of stressing him out and causing problems. I only have a 3 gallon "hospital" tank at the moment and it in the process of cycling! Advice please!!!! Should I only treat if he becomes symptomatic?

Back
Top Bottom