Puffer tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MarineFlake

Aquarium Advice FINatic
To start with, Im not a puffer fan. So, why you must be asking am I asking questions? My wife was browsing with me at my local PetCo and fell in love with a porcupine puffer. Personally, I think they are ugly, but hey, its AquariumAdvice.com not AquariumOpinions.com right?..Anyway she wanted me to immediatly take one home and dump it in my 29G reef tank. Having some general knowledge of puffers, I know them to be a risk at best in reef tanks. While the ones at PetCo are not very big, I also know they can get to be 20" or so.
FINALLY...The question(s): I have no idea what kind of tank or tankmates best suite puffers. Keep them in pairs? 1 per tank? What kind of substrate? LR? Sand? CC? Tank size..29G with a single puffer seems like it would last quite a while, though in the end its either upgrade or send the puffer elsewhere. I've never had a FO or FO/LR tank. All mine are reef and community at that. So, please, fill me in..

Thanks!

He will need at least a 90gal. Besides the fact that they get large, they are huge wastemakers. You'll need live rock and a very good skimmer. They aren't reef fish. They will snack on most of the stock. They eat snails and shrimp. You'll need to get alot of their food from the seafood section at the grocery store. They need plenty of hard shelled food to keep the constantly growing teeth under control. If not, you'll need to trim his teeth so he will be able to eat. The most reliable info is at www.thepufferforum.org/

Kim

When you said puffer then 29G, it made me crunch. I have 55G with juvie puffers and box fish and I am already overstocked. For my tank right now, I need at least somewhere in the 180G to make them live in harmony. 29G could only be a QT for a porcky. Expect your nitrates to go up and down like crazy.

Porcupine Puffers are adorable. the shape and the spikes aren't necessarily attractive to some hobbyists. But they do have a cool personality. Mine puffs up once in a blue moon when he's hungry. It makes me worry whenever he puffs up but it's still kinda funny.

Just get a 90G tank and start a FOWLR or something.

how does your porky puffer behave? I just got one yesterday dripped him for 2 hours and he just hides in the live rock, he is eating however. I picked up some krill and he'll come out of hiding and take the food from my hand. Do all puffers act like this? I just want to make sure he is doing OK.

All puffers (most) act like that til they're settled in. He may not eat for a few days either.

Kim

All my fish are comfortable in the tank. The puffer prefers to roam around, even when I have the moonlight on. Because it was the biggest in the bunch, it's comfortable taking advantage of size. But it is very peaceful.

On the first few days, yes he'll be in hiding. Give it a week or two, even three. My filefish (same family as triggers) hid for a month and just comes out during feeding. After that, it is just swimming around.

Porckies are curious folks. Mine always swims by the front and waits for food, even if it isn't feeding time yet. They have a lot of personality. And in pets, personality goes a long way. It is also very harmless to the rest of my population.

Back
Top Bottom