Purigen anyone?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gleach

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Anyone have experiance with the stuff? Does it work?

Sent from my VS985 4G using Aquarium Advice mobile app

It works great for freshwater, although the rechargeable aspect is a little iffy.. Mine never returned to being white after recharging. never used it in saltwater though.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Anyone have experiance with the stuff? Does it work?
It definitely works, my question would be what are you expecting to do?

It works great for freshwater, although the rechargeable aspect is a little iffy.
Did you use it to remove tannins? Tannins will permanently stain it but it should still be effective even if it won't return to its original color.

It definitely works, my question would be what are you expecting to do?

Did you use it to remove tannins? Tannins will permanently stain it but it should still be effective even if it won't return to its original color.

I'm just using it as extra filtration in my dual reactor I heard it's good for nitrate reduction, although my results are always 0ppm I have a small cyano patch I'm trying to starv out with gfo I thought some purigen can't hurt. I test 0 for phosphate with my Hannah checker yet I still end up with cyano every now and then. Its kinda weired I keep a fairly strict feeding regiment every 3 days 1/2 cube mysis rinsed out. I make my own water and do 10% w/c every week maintaing salinity between 1.024 to 1.025. I get about 3ppm on my tds meter and my skimmer pulls out about 1/2 cup of very dark skim every 9 to 10 days. I change filter Sox bi weekly. My nutrient import is not much which is what kinda confuses me as well. My system is about 60 gal with sump give or take a few gal. I have 1 blue tang, 1 flame Angel, 1 six line wrass and 2 clown fish. I know I shouldn't have a tang and I'm debating on giving it to some one with a larger system. I have a typicall CC and I am using a sump refugium with mud and chaeto on about a 10 hr lighting cycle. My main display lights are on for about 9 hrs a day with a 1hr ramp. I also have a dsb and have disturbed is very little. I have added many Nazareth snails and 1 detrivor kit. My system has been up since Jan 1 2014.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I am using it in a freshwater application so I am not sure my results would be analogous to what you would see in a marine application.

That being said, I think that the nitrate reduction comes from a decrease in biologicals that would otherwise decompose as opposed to the direct removal of nitrates.

Back
Top Bottom