Purigen??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Vol4Ever

Aquarium Advice Activist
LFS is trying to sell me on taking out the factory carbon based cartridge filter for my Aqua Tech 5-15 which came as part of my 10g kit. They recommend cutting my own filter material (while leaving the Aqua Tech factory bio filter). This info tracks right along with the info in eco's guide. However, they are also recommending adding a layer of bagged Purigen in lieu of the carbon. My aquarium is in a small office, so I definitely want to do anything I can safely do for odor control. Does anyone have any Purigen experience? Will it do anything to adversely affect my currently cycling tank?

TIA

~Vol

I have never used the stuff. But I was concerned my home would smell like the bottom of a ship in drydock when I first started this hobby also. So I fought the wisdom here and used carbon. Long story shorter, I don't use carbon anymore. With regular water changes and maintenance, your tank wont smell. If it does, then a cleaning and water change are necessary.

Purigen is different from carbon. Carbon is great for the control of odor and discoloration (which are usually only an issue with inadequate water changes).

It removes waste products that are converted to ammonia, therefore reducing nitrate. I used it on my reef.

However, I think the benefits of Purigen are most apparent in very well balanced tanks where more subtle issues are the problem. It is cheap and reusable (rechargeable) so it is not like you have to buy it every week. Of all the things we by for our tanks I think a $10 bag of Purigen is worth it. Worst case it doesn't make a big difference.

I use this stuff for my tank to remove tannins from my driftwood...works like a charm. Haven't recharged it yet.

Anyone know the correct dosing to recharge and method to do so. I lost the box

If anything it would help keep the ammonia and nitrite from getting too extreme.

I wouldnt use it while cycling cause it will remove ammonia which you want to have in there to start a colony of BB. I would wait till you are fully cycled before adding it.

Back
Top Bottom