purple nudibranch

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

i have crabs

Aquarium Advice Freak
so i have a friend wich is very new to the hobby with a tank about 2 weeks old wich was seeded with an established filter if that makes any sence so i stopped by his huse after work and he had a purple nudibranch which i told him was a bad idea he claims he asked the guy at the store wich is a very good guy and runs a great store if it would be ok in such a new tank so i was just wondering if anyone knows anything about them and if its gonna die in a week wich i told him it probably would

I don't know much about the purple nudi, but I'm afraid the animals sounds doomed. Alot of the nudi's are specialized feeders and I doubt a 2wk old tank will be able to sustain one for very long. Does he have LR in the tank? That may help.

I've read that most nudibranch are very sensitive and hard to keep, that only expert aquarists with well established tanks should keep them. I think the guy at the fish store was trying to make a profit.....

the majority of nudis do die, with some exceptions such as the Aeolid Nudi (aptasia eating variety) also lettuce Nudis can be kept with success. However teh majority are as stated specialized feeders that require good lighting, and their special diet which can include coral, sponges, algeas, and a variety of unknowns even the most experianced hobbiests and scientists are unaware of what some species diets consist of. Also those that can be kept ussually are short lived as their natrual lifespan is not long.

http://www.reeftopia.com/Nudibranch19709.html
I just read this yesterday and thought it was interesting cuz really think the nudibranches are amazing. They say here that they do die within a few weeks but some believe they surive off of gorgonians and sponges. Let me know if this is true cause im in the midst of setting up my tank and would love to add a purple nudi =)

Back
Top Bottom