PVC cave question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fran59

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello, I am setting up a new 29 gallon tank and am using a 4" pvc elbow for a cave & have it situated in a corner with gravel filled in behind it such that it creates a raised area where I have planted a crypt. I backfilled gravel into the cave making it look half moon, and have an annubias attached to the top. It turned out to look nice, IMO, but .... after reading about problems with stagnant water I am concerned about the safety of my fish. Will my cave create problems or will the 4" size be adequate for water circulation? I won't be able to move it to clean and unfortunately didn't think about that until I had already used it. Haven't added fish yet, so I can remove it but really like the bank it created. Thanks in advance for any info!

How big the tank? Hieght?filters running?; you can always add a powerhead in such a way it gets flow through the cave?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

It's a 29 gallon - 30" x 12" x 18" high, And I am going to run 2 Aqua clear filters size 30 & size 50. I do have several small holes (1/8" diameter) drilled into the top of the cave. Would that circulate enough?

It should be fine , I try to make my caves with the front lower than the back so dirt flows out of the tank
you could always put a small air stone in the cave but the fish might not like it , my tank has dozens of caves and I never had any problems with them , a pair of brissle nose plecos would love that cave

Back
Top Bottom