Pwcs when female holding

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I've only seen it happen back when I was the store manager in a lfs and while doing pwc they would get scarred and swallow their eggs due to the fact we had limited rocks in the tanks so we could catch them easier for the customers. But now I run my own maintenance/ installation business with many cichlid tank accounts plus my own at home and it's never happened because they could get away with plenty places to hide and wait out my cleaning routine in cover. They don't get as stressed out that way, but a good rule of thumb is if the pwc can wait if you see a female holding wait till she's done if you can. Or move her to her own tank to care for the fry in peace till she's ready to release them.

I've seen it happen with inexperience mothers as well. In fact, its quite common for young cichlids to swallow their eggs the first go around.

Discusapisto said:
I've only seen it happen back when I was the store manager in a lfs and while doing pwc they would get scarred and swallow their eggs due to the fact we had limited rocks in the tanks so we could catch them easier for the customers. But now I run my own maintenance/ installation business with many cichlid tank accounts plus my own at home and it's never happened because they could get away with plenty places to hide and wait out my cleaning routine in cover. They don't get as stressed out that way, but a good rule of thumb is if the pwc can wait if you see a female holding wait till she's done if you can. Or move her to her own tank to care for the fry in peace till she's ready to release them.

If they could swallow the eggs during a PWC from being stressed, how do you catch them to put in her own tank while holding without the same thing happening?

As long as you catch her in the earlier stages of holding there's never a problem. If you want you can strip her of the fry if they are almost ready to come out. Worst case scenario during capture they are more likely to spit them out early in which case put her and the under developed fry in a bare bottom tank or container and she will pick them back up again when she feels the coast is clear.

Was just wondering because my female peacock swallowed hers while doing a pwc. She has successfully held many times so its not her first time

Cichlid-dude said:
Was just wondering because my female peacock swallowed hers while doing a pwc. She has successfully held many times so its not her first time

I mean it can happen it's all situation dependent and what mood the mom is in. Honestly like I mentioned earlier if you see a mom holding try to put off water change for a few days if possible. Or work on opposite side of the tank from her.

Back
Top Bottom