Pygmy cory

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fin35

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have a heavily planted 10 gallon tank with a Betta fish, two mystery snails and three nerite snails. I know that snails don’t add much bioload. I wanted to add 6 Pygmy Cory’s, will that be overstocking? I do 50% water changes every week. Will they uproot live plants? Do they eat algae wafers? With a 10 gallon you can have 7 small fish but I also have the snails. The Betta should leave then alone, right? He doesn’t bother snails

Pygmy Cories would be fine they are teeny, you could even do 8 or more. They will not bother plants in the least.

Just make sure there are lots of plants and hiding places. Often Bettas will not be aggressive to bottom fish, but sometimes they do get aggressive when they become sexually mature.

If your fish is a bit older and he doesn't care about the snails, then it is probably okay. Just be cautious. Bettas can shimmy into the smallest of places, even sideways along the substrate.

It is the bioload which is an issue and how you care for your tank - "seven fish" like goldfish would never work in a 10G, but 12 Pygmy Cories and a Betta would be fine.

And if you have a mature beneficial bacteria colony happily living in your filter media :).

Mine eat the fish food and Hikari sinking (omnivore) wafers. And I think they eat every thing, even coming up to the top to get some of the fishes portion!

Imho, 3 Pygmy Cories would be similar in bioload as one commonly found Corydoras Aeneus, Bronze, Green or Albino. They stay really small. And are such fun, cuties!

Thank you! Some sights say they need to be a 15 gallon tank but then some say 10 is fine. Any idea?

Back
Top Bottom