QT question.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

roydooms

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hi everyone. Had an ich breakout and I learned my lesson. I'm setting up a QT tank. I have a few questions. Do you need to acclimate your new fish to your QT tank? Then from QT to your main tank do you also need to acclimate them again? Does it have to be cycled? Thanks.

Is this in your discus tank? You can put the new filter media in the established filter for 24hours and probably get enough bacteria on it to be considered cycled. But if there's an outbreak in the big tank, I think you need to treat the whole tank, ich has a stage where it lives freely in the water.

herp_mommy said:
Is this in your discus tank? You can put the new filter media in the established filter for 24hours and probably get enough bacteria on it to be considered cycled. But if there's an outbreak in the big tank, I think you need to treat the whole tank, ich has a stage where it lives freely in the water.

Yes it's my discus tank...

I have an extra HOB filter that's been running n my 125g for 3months and I'm planning to use that for the QT.

I'm treating the whole tank right now. Raised the temp to 86F and I'm adding salt slowly. Will that kill some of the tetras, cories and plants?

I'll wait for the treatment to finish before I use the HOB for the QT. I'm not planning to add any fish any time soon though.

roydooms said:
Hi everyone. Had an ich breakout and I learned my lesson. I'm setting up a QT tank. I have a few questions. Do you need to acclimate your new fish to your QT tank? Then from QT to your main tank do you also need to acclimate them again? Does it have to be cycled? Thanks.

If you look for a thread I have "Aclimating Moors" (yes I spelled it wrong in the title :p), Jsoong (resident expert) laid out a very good way to acclimate fish and it worked great for me since I was using heavy salts and meds for over 10 day in QT.

As for going into the QT? IMO I'd say no, since there's no build up of salt/meds., just make sure the QT is fully cycled.

Good luck, ick is... well icky :(.

Sent from my Epic 4G using Aquarium Advice App

Scaleless fish like cories are sensitive to salt..not sure how much they can tolerate.

siva said:
Scaleless fish like cories are sensitive to salt..not sure how much they can tolerate.

Everything I've read is you're not supposed to use the salt/heat treatment on scaleless fish. Might want to research it a bit more.

Sent from my Epic 4G using Aquarium Advice App

Just to clarify there are no fish without scales, like rainbow trout and corys their scales are extremely small making them more susceptible to infection and a little more sensitive to treatments.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium

Fish like cories and kuhlis are still referred to as scaleless :)

I read that you should dose less than what is recommended when you have cories, loaches or any other scaleless(extremely small scale) fish.

There is apparently a very small amount of true scaleless fish. 2 years ago they found a new one off the coast of Brazil or something like that.

Back
Top Bottom